Spanish Translator and Content Writer
Originally from Extremadura, I studied Translation and Interpreting in Granada, and spent one academic year in Tallinn and a semester in Saint Petersburg. Ireland was, for several years, my chosen destination for temporary work, and I moved to Dublin after graduation. In 2010, I moved to Latvia to work as an Account Manager in Riga, combining that role with some freelance translation activity. Later that year I was appointed an English<>Spanish sworn translator by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
I landed in the UK in 2011 and for three years I combined my translation activity with an in-house role in London as a travel content writer (promoted to content editor within a year) for HostelBookers and Hostelworld. It was there where I acquired a sound knowledge about content marketing, blogging, SEO applied to content, email marketing and social media management.
Since 2014 I have been 100% committed to my ICR freelance business from the beautiful city of Oxford, working both for companies and individuals.
My passion for travelling and my experience working for the travel industry have helped me enormously specialise in the field. I am also an active blogger and the proud owner of Piggy Traveller, an inspirational blog dedicated to my home region of Extremadura, rural tourism, nature and local food. I’ve recently launched The Curiolancer, a blog about freelancing, lifestyle, travel and living abroad focused on storytelling.
I’m a strong advocate of continuous professional development, and I plan my CPD on an annual basis in order to meet my learning and career goals.
Qualifications and experience
Qualifications and relevant CPD
- BA+MA in Translation and Interpreting
- EN<>ES Sworn Translator-Interpreter, appointed by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- ILEC (International Legal English Certificate)
- Diploma in Subediting and Design
- Certificate in Translation of Contracts (EN>ES)
- Certificate in Website Translation
- Certificate in Business Storytelling
Relevant professional experience
- Freelance translator since 2010 (full-time since 2014)
- Content Writer, promoted to Content Editor at HostelBookers and Hostelworld (London, UK)
- Consecutive interpreter and translator at Coastal Village during the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games (Sochi, Russia)
- Account Manager at Dukascopy Bank (Riga, Latvia)
- Account Representative at Xerox (Dublin, Ireland)
- Video games translator at GOA Games (Dublin, Ireland)
Credentials and memberships
- Registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
- Professional indemnity insurance
- Registered as a sworn translator at the Spanish Consulate in London
- Chartered Linguist (and full member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists)
- Associate member of ASETRAD (Spanish Translators Association)
- Member of The Society for Co-operation in Russian and Soviet Studies (SCRSS)
- 1 year in Tallinn (Estonia) as an Erasmus student
- 4 months in Russia (3 months in Saint Petersburg as an exchange student and 1 month in Sochi as a volunteer)
- 2 years in Ireland working in a variety of roles
- 1 year working in Riga (Latvia)
- +6 years as a UK resident
Sworn and Legal: personal/work/education certificates, contracts and agreements, diplomas and transcripts, powers of attorney, wills.
Marketing: website content, emails and newsletters, marketing campaigns, texts for PPC ads, content for social media purposes.
Travel and Hospitality: website content, product and service descriptions, articles and blog posts, destination guides.
Online marketing campaigns, slogans and taglines, product names and descriptions, brochures and leaflets, presentations.
Blog posts, promoted articles, destination guides for the travel and hospitality sectors. Apart from travel, I also cover topics such as languages and communication, culture, education, small businesses, entrepreneurship and content marketing.
Linguistic and cultural consultancy services for companies and sole-traders targeting the Spanish (Spain) market or individuals looking to travel or relocate to Spain.
ICR Translations is my professional website, where you can read about my services in more detail or sign up for blog updates (available in English and Spanish).
Piggy Traveller is a niche inspirational blog in English about my home region of Extremadura aimed at travellers with a keen interest in Spain, offbeat destinations and rural tourism.
Do you think I’m a good fit for your project?
Drop me a line and tell me a bit about your business and project and we’ll take it from there.